Blessed Sacrament Huguenot is the result of the historic merger of two independent schools, Blessed Sacrament High School at Belmead and Huguenot Academy, in September of 1998.
Huguenot Academy was granted its charter by the State Corporation Commission of Virginia on August 31, 1959. From its beginning in the basement of the old Bank of Powhatan building in 1959, the school moved to its present location on Academy Road in 1962. The first teacher and head of the school was Mrs. Lilliam T. West. Blessed Sacrament High School, headed by Dr. Lou Ross Hopewell, opened its doors in 1987 with 18 students in grades 8 and 9.
Huguenot Academy was a non-sectarian school that grew into an institution for students in grades preschool through twelve. The first graduating class of Huguenot Academy was the Class of 1964. Blessed Sacrament High School was a Catholic school, with no parish affiliation, which grew into a school for students in grades 8-12 and had its first graduation in 1991.
Huguenot Academy’s enrollment increased to 1,000 students, but as more private schools opened in the surrounding metropolitan area, enrollment dropped; and at the time of the merger, there were 250 students enrolled. Belmead was growing in enrollment but had no additional buildings in which to expand. They leased the property from the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, and their board advised against building on land that they did not own. Huguenot Academy sat on 40 acres of land and had 11 buildings for classes and athletic functions.
After much discussion, it was decided that the two schools would merge, and the result is Blessed Sacrament Huguenot, a Catholic college-preparatory school for students in grades preschool through 12.